<$BlogRSDUrl$>
The Mercenary       The Soul          The Fire          Welcome to Darkschunt...      Fire Poppies        Power             The Warrior      The House   The Guardian 
& The Lover                                                                                                                                   & Grief                                       of Justice            of Fire         



Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Essential Beauty.
Dame Anita Roddick, the founder of Body Shop has died! That is really shocking. I love Body Shop products, although half the time they're out of my price range. They're also my favourite as gifts for girl friends.

I read on StyleBytes that Body Shop brushes were pretty good so I went to check those out the other day. They were too pricy, though, $30 per brush, so I just went to a pharmacy and got an ordinary make up brush. I need to get another one as well but not yet because I've been spending way too much money. But actually, someone just told me the other day it is probably a good idea to spend a bit more on brushes as you will have them for a long time. Mascara, for example, I wouldn't spend so much since it tends to dry out and need replacing every few months.
The priciest thing I bought was a curling iron. I got the cheapest one in the shop so that made me feel a lot better, it was about $50 or so, while the others were in the $100-200 range. It's pretty good too. It's the BaByliss Professional Ceramic Curling Iron. I'm not sure if it is the one pictured to the right but it's similar enough. Mine is in a funky yellow car though. I haven't had much time to experiment with it yet but I plan to curl my hair for Friday night. I notice that I need to put it in for a certain amount of time otherwise I'll just get an ordinary wave that my hair already has, probably because my hair is so long. I also learnt never to use it with damp hair, after I had done so. Oops. Won't do it again.

After much experimenting, I've found my make-up basics essential. I thought I'd lay it down because I wish someone had told me all this. I had to experiment to find what's right for me and you'll probably have to do that too. I'm not too much into wearing lots of heavy make-up so mine is really simple and fast as well.

FACE AND LIPS.
For day time, I just apply a moisturizer with SPF 15, dust on a light layer of Bobbi Brown Face Powder in Sunny Beige 2, putting a light dusting on my neck to keep the colour even. If I really wanted to keep it simple, this is all I would bother with and a bit of lip balm. My favourite is the Body Shop Vitamin E lip balm (pictured). A lot of people would want to apply bronzer or foundation or a make up base, but that is really up to you and whether you really need it. I don't do any of these three, I think the powder is enough for me, but if you really want to, make sure you have the right shade for you because I see people all the time looking orange-y with bronzer and so on. And it's also probably best to apply a light shade if you do want to put any of these on for daytime. Also, I just remember, you might want concealer. I don't really use concealer myself either.

BLUSH.
If I'm looking pale, I'll use a small fluffy brush to pop on some blusher on the apples of my cheeks. The blush I'm using is Clinique Honey Blush which my mother gave me, it was part of her free pack, she's always using Clinique skin care products. I may start looking for blushers of other shades when I have the money to spare. I used to apply blusher with my fingers but I won't advise that to anyone - use a brush, always! To apply blush, smile and brush on the apples of your cheeks. My friend also taught me a tip, she made me suck my cheeks in, like I was making a fish face, than applied the blusher to where the apples of my cheeks are. It's a pretty handy trick as well. If I think I'm looking particularly pale, which happens when I am sick or in the middle of winter, I lightly brush some blusher on the forehead and along the jawline, but only minimally, just enough for a touch of colour.

EYES.
Then, that's basically it for the make-up, unless I want to apply some mascara or a light touch of beige or gold eye shadow. I was watching the Tyra Banks teaching how to apply make up on her Tyra Banks Show on YouTube and what she says about applying make up along the crease of your eyelids works beautifully. Beauty experts also say to apply a light or white eye shadow or eye cream to the inner corners of your cheeks to create an instant eye-popping celeb look. I have done this before but I haven't really seen much difference.

EYELINER.
I used to wear a lot of eye liner before as well, even in the day, but I've kind of gone off that since I got semi-perm false eyelashes done. They're really the best because I could wear moisturiser and lip balm and with those lashes, I really don't need anything else. But they're a bit too expensive to keep up so I've let that go for the moment. If I feel my eyes really need definition, then I'll put a thin line of eye liner along the bottom of my eyes with a little flick at the outer corner. Leave a little space between the inner corner and the start of the line when you apply eyeliner so your eyes would look bigger. If I'm still not happy with that, I'll put a little on the top too, depending on how heavy I want to go. When it's night time, I often go heavy with the eyeliner, especially if I want a smoky eye but lately I've been going for the natural look. I love MAC eye pencils. The one I'm using now, though, is an Estee Lauder eye pencil which is pretty good as well.

And you're done! It looks like a lot because I tend to go on and on, but basically it's just moisturiser, face powder and lip balm. Blusher is optional, depending on whether your face needs colour on the day (my face sometimes does and sometimes doesn't, depending on how much sleep and sun I've gotten, etc). Then, also optional, add a bit of colour on the eyes using mascara, eyeshadow and/or eyeliner and if you want, slick on a lip gloss or lip stick and then you're done!

NIGHT TIME.
I would probably do do the moisturiser, face powder, blusher and lip balm for night as well. But I might go a little heavier on the blush and also blend it upwards towards the temples for a bit of contouring. Mind you, I have not tried that yet but I read it and it sounds good and I will try it this Friday night and let you know of the results.

Then I'll probably go a little heavier on the eyeshadow and maybe do both eyeliner and mascara as well, depending on what look I am going for for the night. At the moment, all my lip glosses are really nude, which annoys me but I haven't had time or money to buy one that I really like yet. Right now, my night looks are almost the same as my day looks because I usually go out on Friday nights now and it's usually straight from office to work, with me spending a rushed five minutes in the bathroom on makeup. And then you're ready to go!

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?