<$BlogRSDUrl$>
The Mercenary       The Soul          The Fire          Welcome to Darkschunt...      Fire Poppies        Power             The Warrior      The House   The Guardian 
& The Lover                                                                                                                                   & Grief                                       of Justice            of Fire         



Tuesday, July 03, 2007

It's been cold and wet and windy this week. Not great weather for catching the bus.

I was reading the BBC's James Rodgers's Moscow Diary - he was just writing about how shops in Moscow now stay open practically 24-7 and how it stays light until about 11pm everyday. Imagine! In Perth, I have lost all hopes of getting home before it's pitch-black, even if I leave work at 5pm on the dot. That's how fast it gets dark here in winter.

Over the past month, I've been complaining to the Lost Smoker about how boring it is and now everything's just suddenly starting to happen all at once. I'm not complaining, though, I'm loving it. I've gotten an awesome new job (in a great neighborhood!), been busy training someone to take over my old job, just been called in for training for my volunteer work at the egyptian exhibition, not to mention it's my turn to clean the house. Bleh. Which I haven't gotten around to doing because I've just only gotten back from having to cover a not-too-exciting function in east perth. And still have a million things left to do.

:) i like being busy.

Now I have to go download pictures of curtain material which my mother and sister are insisting I check out - I think it's for the house for when my sister gets married. It's actually kind of cool how my sister's wedding is going to be such a big-family-reunion thing, which I actually find myself missing these days. It's a whole production and it's only July now.

Oh, and I almost forgot to mention. I saw Transformers.

It was so awesome.

The Gutter Philosopher doesn't believe that, as a little girl, I used to like Transformers. "Only boys like it!" he insisted. (And that, we all know, is true, the packed cinema we were in was exploding with Transformers-fueled testosterone). I explained that it used to come on every week after My Little Pony, MoonDreamers and Glo Worms.

Speaking of my childhood, I got really excited when I heard they were making a movie on Nancy Drew. Then I saw the trailer and all my excitement vanished.

I know the movie is aimed at kids but why is Nancy so young? From what I remember, she was in high school in the books, drove a car and Ned was an eighteen-year-old college guy! Plus, it's true that Nancy is all about common sense and blahblah, but I don't remember her being as prim and proper as what she is in the movie. I mean, come on, she modeled in a few of the books and was described as a gorgeous redhead with good taste in clothes and practically every guy she met lusted after her. Sometimes, I found Nancy Drew in the books annoying but that's nothing compared to the Nancy Drew in this upcoming movie! Speaking of which, in the books, I always felt she and George were kind of mean to Bess. Especially George. Sometimes, I just wanted to kick that dyke's ass. :p

But seriously. If they wanted to make a movie on Nancy, I think it'll be better if they kept her the same age, made her stylish but sensible (maybe something like Anne Hathaway in the Devil Wears Prada or Jennifer Garner in Alias) and, to make it suitable for all ages, just keep the movie away from any overly-sexed scenes. The Devil Wears Prada was stylish and hot and an adult movie and practically the only non-family rated bits was when Anne showed her (gorgeous) bra to her (gorgeous) boyfriend and spent one night with another guy, and I'd hardly call those scenes racy. So you can make a stylish hit movie about a bright, beautiful woman that's family-rated.

Now that I've mentioned it, I really think Jennifer Garner in Alias is exactly what Nancy Drew would most likely have been like if she ever grew up and got out of high school and River Heights. *Pause*. Exactly. Sydney Bristow is the new modern-day, all-grown-up-as-an-adult Nancy Drew!

Hollywood, please take note.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?