<$BlogRSDUrl$>
The Mercenary       The Soul          The Fire          Welcome to Darkschunt...      Fire Poppies        Power             The Warrior      The House   The Guardian 
& The Lover                                                                                                                                   & Grief                                       of Justice            of Fire         



Saturday, November 18, 2006

Things I enjoy about my very first real-life permanent job:
1) The great position (who lands the role of editor straight after graduation?
2) The challenge (how on earth can I do a good job of being an editor, being a completely fresh graduate?)
3) The clothes (Yes, as you all know, clothes will always play a big part and it's completely fantastic figuring a working wardrobe that's chic and professional and creatively unique. Mmm)
4) The learning (being thrown into the role of editor right after graduating from university is like being thrown head-first into a pool of icy-cold water without being taught how to swim - and mind you, I still don't know how to. Swim, that is. - but it was fantastic because I had to learn so much in so short a time.
5) The social life. (Well, basically I have no social life now, since nearly every second of my free time is spent reporting on this, covering on that and writing up the stories plus editing and laying out, but you do get to go out to all kinds of events and meet all kinds of people that you'd otherwise never see or meet. I've been places to Perth over these few months that I've never been in the past two and a half, almost three, years I've lived here.
6) Did I mention the wardrobe yet?

:) Yes, it's been a long hiatus from the World of Darkschunt but I'm baack again! (One ventures to wonder how long, since I always have a bad habit of never keeping up to date with my blog, but never mind that, I will TRY to blog as much as my work and dying social life will allow me).
Cons of my job? Oh, there are quite a few too. I won't mention some of them (this being a public blog and all, and keeping in mind the history of career-killing blogs like Queen of the Sky and Jolie in New York, although Jolie in New York actually quit her job before the news broke as to who she really was) but as you can guess, the long hours, stagnant social life and pushed-to-the-point-of-breaking-down-and-burning-out bit is all a part of the cons. But, hey, journalism is never easy, right? I know my facts and figures (well, kind of, since numbers always fly out of my head the moment the subject's changed) and journalists can pretty much never hope for an ordinary nine-to-five, five-days-a-week kind of job. We're like real estate agents, our weekends are more often than not solidly booked. It can be exhausting but hey, if I'm going to spend long hours at work, at least I do it at events where I meet people and take photographs rather than at the office, doing filing or accounting or whatever.
I saw The Devil Wears Prada the other day - the first movie I've seen in ages. (SweetRhapsody, the Duchess, whatever happened to our never-missed Tuesday movie afternoons? I miss those!) I feel just like Anne Hathaway and Emily Blunt, only they lead much more glamorous workaholic lives than I do.
Mom is proud of me. This hardly ever happens. The daughter that she feared she would lose to laziness and procrastination has become a workaholic! Tell everyone in the family, including the workaholic cousins! This is a cause for celebration!
But now she fears I work too much and may commit suicide like some other workaholic daughter of a friend of hers. I'm always being compared to daughters of Mom's friends - although being compared to a suicidal one is a new one. Yay for me.
"If I'm too lazy, she is worried. If I work too hard, she also worries," I told the Gutter Philosopher. This is why I should not have children - I will probably worry too much over them. Or, more likely, I will not worry about them at all and worry about the fact that I don't worry over them as I should.
Speaking of family, Mom and Dad and my little brother are probably landing in Italy right now as I type. How groovy is that? Since I've left home, they've been to Spain and Italy. It's not fair! Both me and older sister are jealous. Well, I think she is. She should be if they're going to Italy. She'd be dying to shop there.
Speaking of which, I took her out to the Oyster Bar a few weels ago. The food was fantastic, all except the swordfish which wasn't up to grade. My first time in the Oyster Bar, and also as the One Who Pays For The Dinner. The bill came to over a hundred *gulp*. But it's okay, she's taken me out tons of times for dinner and this is my first time taking her out now that I've got a job and regular paychecks and all that. I tried to take the Gutter Philosopher out for dinner as well but, being an old-fashion male and all, he was having none of that.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?