<$BlogRSDUrl$>
The Mercenary       The Soul          The Fire          Welcome to Darkschunt...      Fire Poppies        Power             The Warrior      The House   The Guardian 
& The Lover                                                                                                                                   & Grief                                       of Justice            of Fire         



Saturday, June 10, 2006

I've just checked my Friendster page (the first time in months) and felt an overwhelming rush of guilt come over me at the number of messages I've left unread and unanswered for countless months. I'm so bad at answering my messages and checking Friendster and all this! Everybody I know has new pictures of themselves preening into the camera lenses and countless blog updates and testimonials and whatever...I should do my best to update my page too...hahaha...
So, anyway, the big news now is that I have...GRADUATED!!! Yes, I have!!! That's the end of my entire life of education...well, not really, as they say life is a continuous path of learning experiences, though that does sound terribly cliche, innit? Anyway, that's the end of my life of educational institutes. From kindergarden to primary school to high school to college to university, I can hardly believe it - I. Have. Truly. Acheived. It.
Congratulations me, I've accomplished the one of the basic major achievements which is highly regarded by our modern society. A degree!
It's kind of like having a bar mitzvah or being a debutante or one of those coming of age birthdays, isn't it? But it feels pretty unreal to me. Like, I don't really feel like I think I should when I graduate. I still keep thinking I'm going to have to go to class next semester again.
I did feel something on Friday last week when I finally printed out and handed in my very last assignment, my very last essay ever. When I handed it in to Les, my tutor and internship boss, and we stood there chatting about what was coming next for me, I really did feel a wave of sadness come over me. This was it, the very last! And when I said goodbye to Les and left the radio newsroom and walked back to the journalism newsroom, I felt even sadder. I didn't want to graduate! I want to keep on being a student! Life's such a blast in university.
Then, after that, I headed to the Sparrow restaurant in NB with a bunch of the people from the journalism print production class. Half of us were graduating as well, and it was so sad but it was fun too. We really got to know each other only over the boozy lunch - and I think a lot of people were really surprised when I was yakking my mouth off because I hardly ever spoke much in the newsroom, I was always concentrating so hard on the work. But it was fun, we got to know a lot about each other that we never really found out during all those weeks we spent together!
After lunch, we headed over to the Brisbane Hotel bar (again! I seem to keep coming back to this place now!) and we drank loads; our lecturers were drinking loads too and were really funny and they were all so nice, offering us lots of support in whatever we did next and encouragement. And then I found out Nick, the British guy, had seen the Smashing Pumpkins life before and I was totally jealous of him.
Later, me, Jonathan, Lily, Adam and Jessica took off to Lily's friend's house. It's a cute place, with a windchime and a big cat and looked a little bit like a cute witch's house! She had turntables too, which were awesome, I played around with them a bit but I didn't really know what to do, I was probably pretty crap, hehe. We hung around, drinking a bottle of wine and exchanging the funniest, grossest stories before heading to another restaurant for dinner (John made me have vegetarian with him, which turned out pretty well actually, for a carnivore like myself!). Then, Sheryl called and asked me to go clubbing with her. We dropped Jess off (Adam had already staggered drunkenly off home, let's hope he made it!) and Lily took me and Jon to meet her boyfriend before dropping us off.
I was pretty much exhausted but that didn't stop me from putting my dancing shoes on and heading out with the Filipino girls! ;) Meet some nice people that night...and this guy who has declared that his old dance club at another college was the greatest accomplishment in his life, hehe, he was a fun guy.
Yup, that was pretty much my graduation ceremony - until the real one next year with fireworks! Both the Duchess and I are postponing our ceremonies so we get fireworks! That's what we want! Fireworks!

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?