<$BlogRSDUrl$>
The Mercenary       The Soul          The Fire          Welcome to Darkschunt...      Fire Poppies        Power             The Warrior      The House   The Guardian 
& The Lover                                                                                                                                   & Grief                                       of Justice            of Fire         



Monday, May 17, 2004

Tai-taidom

Me and my friends are the privileged.
We get to have a complete education and go to high school and college and university and even go aboard to study - the perfect finesse touch to cap off a distinguished lifestyle of scholarly diligence.
Most of my friends who read this - if those lazy asses ever get around to even looking at this blog - are surely going, "what scholarly diligence???? oh, you mean the degree we all earned in high school for perfecting the art form of cutting class? or perhaps the masters in bachelor of passing without doing any assignments? or the high art of copying???"
I am so bloody lazy to go study - I just can't be bothered to sit at my desk for fifteen minutes to study, let alone the five hours that my mom always boasts she spents every day of her teen life studying. In high school, most of my energy is spent dodging the truant patrol and friends' parents and hiding in smoky video arcades where me and my friends...smoke and play video games. It's only during the more recent years that I actually forced myself to get up and go study.
And then i pick up magazines like the Reader's Digest with articles where little girls write to city girls saying, "you are so lucky! you actually get to go to such a beautiful school and study!" and man, do i feel guilty.
Here we are, with all these oppurtunities that other people can only dream of and we waste most of it wishing that we could be...tai-tais.
Or in other words, a trophy wife.
As Christina Ricci says, you just sit around and wear diamonds and drink champagne.
I especially like this girl's thoughts on tai-taidom, which so rings true. You can read it in my website or the website Hashzinei got the essay off, but it's really funny and really worth reading. Even some guys wish they could be tai-tais.
It's really too bad I could never be a tai-tai. Because it would mean being dependent on someone else and, well, i could never do that. I do things to please myself and not someone else. But it would be just so nice and easy to be one. Unless you end up like this girl in this super melodramatic Taiwanese drama I once saw who married some rich cute perfect guy who really loves her and it turned out to be a complete nightmare for her. Even I gave up watching after a while because it was just way too melodramatic. But then, like the drama, you might end up having to put up with bitchy murderous ex-wives, your husband being too absorbed in his work, fears of your husband having an affair with your psychologist whom you were driven to visit because of your husband's bitchy murderous ex-wife... anyway, i've heard and seen enough real-life nightmare households where the husband is a complete bitch and the wife is either lucky that she's got a stable job and a life outside the household or completely miserable because she's just a tai-tai and has to depend on aforementioned husband grouch for a living. I'm not gonna take my chances, thanks.
Of course, I still want my diamonds. So how to get diamonds if you're not married to a fabulously rich and stressful husband or a fabulously rich and stressful job? And when I say stress, I mean stress. I get stressed just watching those people on the apprentice running around fighting with one another to get a job with donald trump. And then the girls on the first episode get to meet his girlfriend and isn't she taking life easy? But then, she has to put up with donald trump, hahaha.
I used to want to be a geisha. You get to dress up in a kimono and go to parties where you mingle with famous, rich and powerful men, and all you have to do is pour sake, chat, and sometimes dance or play the shamisen. and it's all very proper and you aren't expected to sleep with them. and in the day all you have to do is practice your dancing and shamisen playing. Party all night and spend your day practicing fine arts? Sounds like my kind of lifestyle! That's what i'd like, to be a socialite. Call me Paris Hilton. And I'll be careful to watch out for boyfriends with cameras.
But, really, when you think about it, here I am living the high life. I'm an ocean away from any nagging parents, I've got complete freedom and a good-sized bank account (provided I don't overspend...ahahaha), I'm in a whole new place with a different culture and stuff, I'm studying something I actually like studying, all i have to do is study something i actually enjoy studying while my leisure time is spent practicing kendo, drawing, writing, and going out with friends, at the moment I've got everything I've ever wanted (touch wood that this is going to last). I am like the luckiest bitch in the world.
Na, this is much better than being a tai-tai. I'll get my diamonds later.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?