<$BlogRSDUrl$>
The Mercenary       The Soul          The Fire          Welcome to Darkschunt...      Fire Poppies        Power             The Warrior      The House   The Guardian 
& The Lover                                                                                                                                   & Grief                                       of Justice            of Fire         



Thursday, February 05, 2004

Meet Yum-Yum
I got my very first handcrafted boxwood comb today!!!

Let me just explain that it has always been my dream to own one of those handcrafted wooden combs that little old men in remote provinces of China and Japan spend their entire lives working to produce just one perfect little comb. Okay, so my comb was most likely produced by some middle-aged factory worker in the city. It's still handcrafted(i hope) and it's wooden. It's definitely wooden. And not just any wood but boxwood. I always wanted a boxwood comb after reading about them in Eric Van Lustbader's The Miko.
After I got the comb today from some tiny little shop called Carpenter Tan that sells nothing but these wooden combs, I spent like the entire day combing my hair with it. I combed it while having lunch at Sushi King. I combed it while I was waiting in the dressing room of F.O.S. I combed it while telling my friend (who I woke up at midnight to tell her about it) on the phone. All my friends say that I'm obsessed.
Look, it's a dream, okay? It may not be as heavyweight as world peace or something, but hey, it's a hell lot more realistic. It's a traditional handcrafted wooden comb!!!
And in the continuing tradition of naming all my cherished posessions (like my car, whose name is Anthony Keidis Rob Thomas Russell Crowe - don't ask, this was because of Joy who felt that Russell should be included because my car is a big car - Paul Bethany Wang Lee Hom), my beautiful new comb is blessed with a name. Her name is Yum-Yum.
Why Yum-Yum? Because I once read about a British play called The Mikado, in which some Japanese prince who ran away from the palace fell in love with Yum-Yum, the beautiful ward of the Lord High Executioner. Anyway, there was a picture of Yum-Yum with a maid combing her long hair, and so that picture just stuck in my mind ever since then. And therefore, my comb's name is Yum-Yum.
I love my comb. I love every single rounded edge and polished tooth of it. It's a beautiful comb.
Am I boring you? I am so sorry. Hah - you're just JEALOUS that you don't have a comb like mine!!!
Apparently, combing frequently with these combs can 'protect your hair, refresh your mind and prolong your life.'
Hmmm.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?